Toilet tank not filling with water normally involves the water supply or the toilet fill valve. If your find no water line ruptures or other leaking troubles in your house or area, the issue about toilet tank not filling maybe cause cause by the toilet fill valve which connects to your home’s water supply and fills the toilet as needed. You just need to replace the water fill valve.
Let’s show you how to solve the problem that toilet tank not filling up.
- Check the water supply for the other fixtures is the first step, such as kitchen and bathroom sinks. If these aren’t working, there means the water supply problem with your main water supply pipe. You should call the council to make clear what happen or find a plumber to help determine where the problem is with your main.
- Check that the water supply for your toilet is working. Locate the water-supply valve behind the toilet; a hose or pipe connects this valve to the toilet tank. Open the knob at the end of the valve all the way by turning it counterclockwise.
- Rotate the water supply for the toilet knob all the way to the right to cut off the water for the toilet. Remove the toilet lid. Flush the toilet. After the flush, continue holding down the lever until all the water inside the toilet is gone. Use a towel to wipe up any extra water.
- Place another towel on the floor underneath the tank. Unscrew the coupling that connects the hose or pipe to the tank, using the pliers. Remove the plastic retaining nut located above the hose or pipe coupling. Remove the toilet fill valve from the tank.
- Insert a new fill valve into the tank. Make sure that the gasket sits flush on the bottom of the tank. Hold this in place with one hand, or have an assistant hold it for you.
- Tighten the plastic retaining nut on the underside of the new fill valve. Secure it in place with the pliers.
- Wrap the threads on the new fill valve with plumber’s tape. Trim off any excess. Reconnect the water-supply pipe or hose coupling to the wrapped threads. Tighten the connection with pliers.
- Turn on the water-supply knob by rotating it to the left. Watch as the tank fills up and check for leaks. Tighten any couplings with the pliers as needed. Flush the toilet and ensure that everything works correctly. Replace the lid.
Toilet tank does not fill is not a difficult problems to solve. Before you change the fill valve, you need to prepare the parts or tools used in replacement, such as pliers, towel, fill valve and so on. Then following the upper instruction, you can fix the toilet tank not filling up with water instead of calling a plumber.